Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why It's a Shakedown

In case you haven't figured out why parking violations in Salt Lake City are a shakedown, let me break it down.

It's when you don't believe you're guilty, and in fact have decent evidence to support that, that's when it becomes a shakedown.

The first step is to contact a hearing officer and explain the situation to them. The ticket I received said "expired registration, no visible current registration, checked windows."

I sent a photo with the temporary registration in the front window and asked them to void the ticket. In fact, they even have a photo with the temporary in the front window.

Their reply was that it is supposed to be in the rear window, we'll reduce the ticket to $10 for improper display."

I still believe they are incorrect. I believe I have a strong argument. You can read about that here. You can read about how the shakedown has been going down and they even know about it here.

Instead of even hearing my well reasoned argument, they told me they will not void my ticket and my next option is to take it to court. This is where the shakedown begins.


  • Time Invested  = 2-5 hours
    • I have take time to go downtown to make a court date
    • I have to take time to go back for my court date. (Trip #2 downtown)
    • I have to prepare my case
  • Money Invested = $265
    • I have to pay the original fine of $30. 
    • If I understand correctly, if I lose, I am out the $30
    • If I lose, I'll also have to pay a $60 court fee. ($90 total now)
    • I received another document that said the judge may impose attourney fees up to $175
    • Fees for parking downtown X2 (?)
So what do most people do? Pay the $10 and cut their losses.  And that's exactly what parking@slcgov.com is counting on that you'll do.

That's why it's a shakedown.









No comments:

Post a Comment